What it means to be Union
We are a labor union – an organization of workers formed for the purpose of advancing its members interests in respects to wages, benefits and working conditions. We are members of a labor union with job protection under a collective bargaining agreement with our employer: The United States Postal Service or USPS.
What is Collective Bargaining
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as, “Negotiations between an employer and a labor union usually on wages, hours, and working conditions.”
To give a better understanding on collective bargaining here is some good general information about collective bargaining: https://legaldictionary.net/collective-bargaining/
Some Facts about our Local NALC Branch 79……………….
- The name of our local is Branch 79 and was founded in 1890.
- The local office is located at 210 Queen Anne Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109
- The office hours are normally 7:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- The office telephone number is 206-284-3420. (Voice mail after hours). Branch 79’s website is www.nalc79.org
- We are affiliated with the following organizations: National Association of Letter Carriers, Washington State Association of Letter Carriers, King County Labor Council, and Washington State Labor Council.
- Union dues are $30.19 per pay period and are payroll deductible
- As of July 2019, our local membership totals 2,368.
- Election of local officers occurs in December of even numbered years.
- Executive Board meetings are scheduled for the Thursday before the Branch meeting.
- General membership meetings are held at the Swedish Cultural Center at 1920 Dexter Ave in Seattle on the second Wednesday of every month.
- Shop Steward meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday of every month at the Branch office.
- Our local newsletter is called The Seventy-Niner and is distributed by mail during the 1st week of every month.
- The Elected Officers are: President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, Assistant Secretary-Treasurer, Sergeant-at-Arms, Board of Trustees composed of 3 members, Editor, Director of Insurance, and Director of Retired Members.
- List of our local’s committees: Condolence, Correspondent, Education, Election, Good of the Order, Legislative, Nomination, Retired Sick, Food Drive, Picnic, By-Laws, Organizing